Game Preview: UAB
It’s not like we didn’t see that Indiana game coming. Obviously didn’t think it’d be that bad, but it is a game against a no.1 on their home court.
UNC basketball reloads on Saturday against the UAB Blazers who have perhaps the most badass mascot in the country – a dragon.
They also have one of the most badass coaching staffs in the country following closely behind UNC. Longtime Roy Williams assistant coach Jerod Haase took over the UAB program before the season began and took with him former Heels guard and Tyler Hansbrough storyteller Bobby Frasor as Director of Operations. It’ll be nice to welcome the extended family members back to town and it comes with an even better development.
Haase, who rightfully calls Frasor the “mayor of Chapel Hill,” has imposed a curfew on Bobby for the trip. This will be the only time all season Bobby will be given a curfew. That’s awesome.
- First item of note: PJ Hairston (knee, which kept him out of the IU game) and Reggie Bullock (finger, sustained during IU game) are game time decisions for the Heels.
- Homeboy for FAU in the picture above is Jordan Swing. First off, awesome name. Second, he’s the Blazers’ best player. The 6’6″ junior transferred from Western Kentucky and is averaging 14/6 for the season. He also shoots better than 45 percent from the field, including behind the arc. It’d be nice to have Reggie here.
- Alexander Scotland-Williamson is a 6’9″ senior forward from England. He is awful but that’s a great (and very English) name and he wears 00. We’re rooting for this guy.
- This is the second 2010 NIT opponent the Heels have played this year. The Heels won in Birmingham in 2010.
- UAB has no real notable wins unless you count Navy and Troy or 105 points scored against a college we’ve never heard of. They did play Creighton and lost by 17. That’s the best reference we can give.
- The Blazers do have a 6’10” Bosnian forward Fahro Alihodzic who scores in double digits. He’s not a great rebounder for his size and doesn’t block many shots. The frontcourt should be able to redeem itself. Other than that there’s Rod Rucker who must play bigger than his 6’5″ frame would suggest. He hasn’t shot a 3 this year and grabs 8 boards a game to go with 14 points. Shoots a high percentage too. Maybe he’s the real best player. Also, another great name. So many good names on this team.
This shouldn’t be an issue for Roy’s Boys. Let’s just hope there’s no IU hangover.
Prediction: UNC 80, UAB 68