Game Preview: Wake Forest
You listened to the last podcast, right? Of course you did. The Heels are in a stretch of must-win games. They took care of business against Boston College and Virginia Tech but need to keep it up against the hapless Demon Deacons of Wake Forest to further float the dreams of a NCAAful postseason.
- The one man who stands most in the way of a win tonight is junior Travis McKie. The 6’7″ forward has been a rock for several years for a very unstable Wake team. To go with 15 points a game, McKie leads the team in rebounding and has gotten to the free throw line 117 times. Oh yeah, and he can hit 3s when necessary although he doesn’t take a ton.
- Wake has another experienced contributor in senior two guard C.J. Harris. After Harris’ 14.5 points there’s a significant drop-off in production from the rest of the squad. Harris leads the Deacons in three point percentage and like McKie can also get to the charity stripe, having done so over 100 times on the year.
- It shouldn’t surprise you that the rest of Wake’s core is freshmen. Two first-years (Codi Miller-McIntyre and Devin Thomas) put up 8 points a piece and lead the team in assists and sit second in rebounding respectively. Tyler Cavanaugh, Arnaud William Adala Moto and Madison Jones are other freshman names to know.
- A loss to Maryland put Wake Forest under .500 for the year (10-11) and at ninth in the ACC (3-6). Wake’s signature win came against NC State in Winston-Salem two weeks ago. The Deacs rank 163rd in scoring, 251st in rebounding, 281st in assists and 175th in field goal shooting nationally. UNC ranks 8th, 2nd, 3rd and 118th in the same categories.
- P.J. Hairston will again not be suiting up. He’s overcoming flu-like symptoms on top of the concussion that held him out against Virginia Tech.
Let’s reiterate, North Carolina must win this game.They have no reason not to.