Preview: Georgia Tech
At least there’s no more Terror Dome.
Last year’s debacle in Atlanta was embarrassing and ugly. It did lead to the ushering out of Larry Drew II though, which has worked out so far. This season has played a little differently with Georgia Tech in general looking embarrassing and ugly.
Roy Williams has a worse record against Georgia Tech than any other ACC opponent, but that was all against former coach Paul Hewitt. New coach Brian Gregory has had a go at it this season. We don’t think things will get much better today.
- Glen Rice Jr. has the honor of leading an 8-12 team at the bottom of the ACC cellar in points, rebounds and assists per game. Unfortunately, all three of those numbers are well below the same statistical leaders on UNC. Rice is a great player, but he’s asked to do too much for this awful team. Granted he did put up something like 24 points against UNC last year.
- Lots of youth on the Yellow Jackets. The Rice and Mfon Udofia backcourt is junior led, but that’s about as old as you’re going to get. Those two account for about 24 points a game, over a third of the team’s average points per game.
- If you think a team scoring 62 points a game is sad, they’ve averaged less than 50 points during its four game losing streak. They do only allow 62 points a game though. UNC has allowed 66 points a game while scoring almost 85.
- UNC hasn’t beaten Georgia Tech since 2009. Crazy to think about.
- Here’s how Tech ranks nationally: Points per game: 288th; Rebounds per game: 81st; Assists per Game: 314th; Field Goal Percentage: 159th
- Here’s how UNC ranks nationally: Points per game: 1st; Rebounds per game: 1st; Assists per Game: 4th; Field Goal Percentage: 35th
Prediction: UNC 90, Georgia Tech 68