Preview: NC State
After a week off, a couple games away from Chapel Hill and now down a shooting guard, UNC is back on the court tonight against Tobacco Road foe NC State.
- This is a much different NC State team than we became accustomed to under Sidney Lowe. C.J. Leslie is leading the Pack, maybe not statistically, but definitely is the player to watch. He’s second on the team in both points (12.8) and rebounds (6.2). The sophomore would be voted “most likely to go off” in his high school yearbook though.
- The reason we didn’t use a photo of the team’s leading scorer per usual is because their leading scorer is Scott Wood, and we couldn’t bring ourselves to that. Wood did just recently set an ACC record for free throw shooting of some sort, score over 15 points per game and can just knock down threes like a champ, but we can’t take the kid seriously. Hope the loss of Dexter doesn’t allow Wood room to shoot all night.
- State also has a very good point guard in Lorenzo Brown. His 6.9 assists would look much better if they weren’t overshadowed by Kendall Marshall’s 9.5. Brown does also add 12.4 points per game though. Pretty good.
- The Wolfpack is an undeniably better team this year that it has been in recent memory. Three of its five losses have come to Indiana, Syracuse and Vanderbilt. It lost a close one away at Stanford that it shouldn’t be too upset about. Only really bad loss has been at home to Georgia Tech by 11. That’s ugly. And that’s coming from someone who was in attendance for the drubbing Tech put on UNC last year.
- Here’s how State ranks nationally: Points per game: 33rd; Rebounds per game: 45th; Assists per Game: 8th; Field Goal Percentage: 36th
- Here’s how UNC ranks nationally: Points per game: 1st; Rebounds per game: 1st; Assists per Game: 4th; Field Goal Percentage: 38th