Preview: UNC at NC State
Roy Williams said State was playing as well as ever and hinted that he wasn’t really looking forward to the showdown tonight. I’m not sold. Sidney Lowe should be the one scared Wednesday night. Oh wait, never mind. He doesn’t care anymore. He’s too busy trying to sell his house in Raleigh and lobbying his services to that TV network in Bristol, Connecticut because he knows he won’t be roaming the sidelines in a red blazer next year.
But the Pack has won two of it’s last three. Which for a team that’s 4-8 in the ACC isn’t that bad. So I guess we have to pay them some attention.
- C.J. Leslie has been playing very well in the past couple contests. Over the last three, the freshman from Holly Springs has put up at last 18 points to go with at least 8 rebounds, including a double-double in a good win over Clemson.
- It was another freshman, guard Lorenzo Brown, that was about the lone bright spot in UNC’s 20-point win in Chapel Hill. Brown put in 20 off the bench and added seven assists. This isn’t typical Brown though. He does average a shade over nine a game, but he’s only hit double-digits three times in ACC play.
- Even with the freshman State has, Tracy Smith is still the go-to guy for State. Smith has hit at least ten in 14 of his 16 games this season and scored 20 in the loss to Maryland Sunday. Plus he has a sick beard.
- As the Heels go, a couple players had a field day back in January. Barnes started his recent hot streak that day with a 25 point outing, including that frenzy that started the game. John Henson also went off with a 16-16 game that also included seven blocks. Mr. Consistent Tyler Zeller put it 14 and fellow big man Justin Knox added ten. As you can tell, the post players had their ways. Hope that continues tonight.
- UNC is back to leading the nation in rebounding at 42.5 a game; NC State is 61st with 37.5 per. Another nod to UNC’s bigs. UNC also puts in 5.5 more points a game and doles out one more assist. One assist more per game doesn’t sound like a lot, but it does mean UNC ranks 31st in the nation and State comes in at 80.
UNC should win this game. And even if for some reason they don’t, all UNC fans can rest easy because this may be the last time we ever have to see that f’ing red blazer again.
Prediction: UNC 74, NC State 64