Preview: UNC vs. Evansville
UNC gets ready to settle in for a month-long homestand and kicks it off against Evansville. The Heels and the Aces faced off last year in Evansville, a university somewhat close to Tyler Zeller’s hometown of Washington, Indiana.
In Evansville’s recently opened arena, the Heels won 76-49 behind 18 points by Zeller and 13 from Justin Knox.
- Evansville relies on the junior with the great name, Colt Ryan. The guard is scoring almost 20 points per this season and is one of the Missouri Valley Conferences’ best player. Last year UNC held Ryan in check as he only connected on 1 of 8 shots from behind the arc and finished with 9 points. He was still the highest scoring Purple Ace last season.
- Senior Kenny Harris is second on the team with 13 ppg and leads the team in rebounding with 6 a game. Harris only notched 3 points in last year’s game o 1-9 shooting to go with 4 rebounds.
- UNC’s bigs dominated the game last year and should do the same again. Evansville only has three players on their roster that measure 6’8″ and two are freshman. Evansville is also one of the worst rebounding teams in the country.
- UNC’s national ranks: Scoring, 13th; Rebounds per game, 15th; Assists per game, 6th; Field goal percentage, 31st.
- Evansville’s national ranks: Scoring, 95th; Rebounds per game, 314th; Assists per game, 153rd; Field goal percentage, 118th.