Preview: UNC vs. Long Beach State
UNC will have its hands full in its last game before the fall semester exam break tonight in Chapel Hill.
Visiting Long Beach State out of the Big West does not carry the most impressive record (4-4), but the story is behind those numbers.
- LBSU pulled off a win against then no. 9 Pitt at Pitt, gave Kansas a run for its money in Lawrence on Tuesday, eventually losing 88-80, narrowly lost to San Diego State at SDSU in double-OT and the only other loss was by two on the road against Montana. This team has what it takes to pull off a win away from home in a hostile environment.
- I’m also going to take the time here to mention how unmenacing the Dean Dome has been this season. It’s easy to take UNC for granted, especially when these small programs come to town, but there’s been a lot of empty seats at home games early in the season. Living out of the area in DC/Atlanta and not having the luxury of student tickets any longer, it’s heartbreaking to see unfilled seats. Considering the opponent, Saturday night tip-off and exams approaching, I don’t expect there to be much of a student presence tonight either. This may come back to haunt the Heels.
- Casper Ware, right, and Larry Anderson pace the Beach. The senior guards lead the team in points and assists and are a pretty intimidating and experienced backcourt. Ware dropped 26 in the upset of Pitt and 28 in the loss to SDSU. Anderson is shooting 43 percent from behind the arc.
- LBSU has two others that also average double figures, this time in the frontcourt. Senior T.J. Robinson adds 14.4 a game to go with his team-leading 10.8 rebounds and JC transfer James Ennis contributes 10.3 ppg.
- This is how LBSU ranks nationally: Scoring, 83rd; Rebounds per Game, 253rd; Assists per Game, 60th; Field Goal Percentage, 64th.
- This is how UNC ranks nationally: Scoring, 10th; Rebounds per Game, 2nd; Assists per Game, 6th; Field Goal Percentage, 28th.