Preview: UNC vs. Maryland
Well, it’s almost March. Only two games left on the ACC regular season docket and let’s hope the Heels aren’t looking past tonight’s match-up in Chapel Hill against the feared (are they though?) Turtles of Maryland.
- Terrell Stoglin gets buckets. The sophomore guard is putting up over 20 a game and is by far the Terps biggest threat on offense. He scored 20 in the meeting between these two in College Park and you can assume he’ll do the same tonight. Thing about Stoglin too, he doesn’t just settle for jumpers. Dude has gotten to the FT line 182 times this season. That’s 20 times more than the closest Heel (Tyler Zeller) and he gets to the line a lot.
- Like we said, there’s a significant drop-off between Stoglin and the rest of the Terps. Senior Sean Mosley adds 10 points a game, leadership and not a ton else. They have a 7-footer in freshman Alex Len but he plays like a freshman at best. Junior forward James Padgett scores 9 points a game to go with almost 6 rebounds, but at 6’8″ he can’t really bang with the Heels.
- You can’t blame the lack of offense on a stellar defense like you can with Virginia. The Terps allow almost 70 points a game. Not exactly stoppers.
- Maryland had an early win against then unranked Notre Dame, but haven’t beat a ranked opponent all year. Last game they lost to Georgia Tech. If you have the displeasure of watching that game, it was some ugly basketball. But so was the UNC game. Here’s to praying it’s not another ugly game for these teams.
- This is how Maryland ranks nationally: Scoring, 174th; Rebounds per Game, 79th; Assists per Game, 324th; Field Goal Percentage, 220th.
- This is how UNC ranks nationally: Scoring, 3rd; Rebounds per Game, 1st; Assists per Game, 5th; Field Goal Percentage, 64th. Scoring and FG percentage just keep going down.
Prediction: UNC 85, Maryland 70