Wrap-up: Heels beat lesser Carolina squad
UNC 87, South Carolina 62
The Heels did what they were supposed to do out in the desert by handily defeating the Gamecocks. We’re also going to go ahead and toot our own horn here by pointing out our predicted score of 89-64 ,UNC. Two points high for both team, same margin of victory. Admit it, you’re impressed.
- Harrison Barnes has continued his as-quiet-as-possible domination. Barnes shot 60 percent from the floor including 2-3 from behind the arc and 7-10 from the line for 21 points on the night. Barnes’ turnovers do continue to be a problem, however, as he had three more last night.
- Kendall Marshall also continues to light it up. It was noted yesterday that Marshall had more assists on the season than S.C. had as a team going into the match-up, and that continues to be true. Marshall finished with 14 assists to S.C.’s 12. He also only committed one turnover bring his season statistics to 4.38 assists per turnover. He also had six steals.
- P.J. Hairston came alive off the bench for 19 points in 15 minutes on 5-8 shooting – all from three – and added on four free throws. Hairston has proven to be that reliable shooter UNC hoped he’d be and between Hairston and Bullock, UNC is looking deeper than expected. I take that back. We were all expecting it.
- John Henson and Tyler Zeller did their normal damage. Henson continues to pour in the points as he had 18 last night to go with eight rebounds.
- South Carolina did nothing of note. Four players scored in double figures – just as many as the Heels – but besides R.J. Slawson’s double-double off the bench, it was all about UNC last night.
- The Heels did get a litte sloppy last night. Or, as sloppy as a 25 point margin of victory and 10 turnover night can be. UNC could have blown the game wide open but never did.
- Player of the game: Harrison Barnes – 21 pts, 5 rebs Just because he’s the leading scorer on the team and he scored the most points.
- Stat-stuffer: Kendall Marshall – 4 pts, 14 asts, 6 stls, 2 rebs Cause that line is siiiiiick.