Wrap-up: Heels lose in Elite Eight
Kentucky 76, UNC 69
Apparently the Based God called DeAndre Liggins a “little bitch.” That’s much nicer than the things we were saying into our TVs.
Losing games is never fun, having your season ended is always a bummer and having that happen against a rival with the greasiest coach in college basketball is pretty much a nightmare.
So this is going to suck, and the squeamish should not proceed.
- It’s hard to win a game when your best defensive player and pretty much automatic double-double is limited to just over 20 minutes with four fouls. John Henson was as much of a non-factor as he was when he was forced into the small forward position. Only four shot attempts, four points and no blocks. He got nine rebounds but he wasn’t the game-changer he usually is.
- Tyler Zeller did his usual damage though. 21 pts, 9 rebs and 4 blks on 9-12 shooting. Impressive.
- Dexter Strickland was also there to play, acting like a hellion on D and adding 11 points too.
- Where UNC struggled: the 3-ball. Kentucky connected on 12 of 22 attempts. UNC, never a great long-range team, shot 16 times and only hit three. Ugly. They ruled the paint, like they should, scoring 40 to UK’s 24, but damn. 12 threes.
- The Heels also couldn’t get to the line. The Heels averaged 23 attempts from the charity stripe a game, even reaching 42 attempts in the first round match-up against Long Island, but only took 15 shots yesterday.
- The Boys also didn’t play like the best rebounding team in the nation. The team finished with two more than UK, but it was six under its season average and was outscored 16-12 on second chance points. A stat that has proved pivotal in UNC wins.
Play of the Game and Stat-Stuffer: Tyler Zeller and his impressive effort. Things could have been a lot uglier without him.
Cheaters never prosper: Like Rafters editor Sam pointed out, at least we can rest assured this final four will be vacated for UK.