Wrap-Up: Tar Heels soar over Eagles (sorry, had to)
UNC 82, Boston College 70
We’ll admit we don’t love the possibility of going a couple games without Mr. P.J. Hairston. That fall in Chestnut Hill looked awful. Almost as bad as Dexter Strickland’s elbow. Even without P.J.’s hot hand (remember, he had 14 points on 4-4 shooting from 3 before going down at the 4:00 in the first half) the Tar Heels were able to ride the game out with the early lead and win comfortably without ever being challenged.
- For a full version of our takeaways, listen to the podcast we recorded after the game late Tuesday night.
- Marcus Paige has been playing at a level we’re very comfortable with. His stat line isn’t amazing (8 pts, 6 asts, 4 rebs, 1 TO) but it’s a great game for the freshman who’s struggled at times. He finally looks like a player who’s ready to take control of the team and the offense. This couldn’t happen soon enough.
- If I said someone took 20 shots in a game, would you react to that positively? I probably wouldn’t. Well James Michael McAdoo took 20 shots against BC hitting seven. Not a great percentage. But who else picks up the shots if JMM doesn’t shoot that many times? We like it more if Reggie Bullock shoots more than eight and a healthy P.J. would not have rested at five. Still though, how about some balance on that?
- Jackson Simmons continues to do great things. The sophomore had 8 points and 4 rebounds in 21 minutes. Three of those boards were offensive too. Of all the very good things he does when he’s on the floor, Jackson’s ability to keep plays alive may be the best.
- Free throw shooting was pretty good again. Alright!
- Player of the Game: Dexter Strickland (14 pts, 4 asts, 2 rebs, 6-6 FT) For the haters.
- Play of the Game: P.J. dives after loose ball, JMM dives/comes up with loose ball, down court to P.J. for a step-back 3.